Re: Death trap(frozen throttle cable)

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 00:39:22 -0700 rabeys@cadvision.com (Sean Rabey)
writes:

>        Hey guys & gals,
>
>I have a question for ya thats been hounding me since last winter(my
first
>winter with the car).  Every time it gets cold, my cars gas pedal gets
>really hard to press and sticks.  Last year it was tollerable, and was
not
>dangerous, just took a little getting used to when shifting, but this
year
>the problem has reared its ugly head once again.  The reason it took so
long
>to show up, is due to el nino.

Actually, the "El Nino" effect ended in mid November. El Nino is the
effects from the water at the Equator in the Pacific being above 85
degrees. Since mid November, its been below 85 so that means what? That
means the media did a splendid job of hyping something out of proportion,
yet again. They make it seem that just, out of the blue, we will get a
monster storm that will wash California into the sea and cause other
problems for the rest of the world. Whatever..................... Not
gonna happen...... not in effect. The storms your seeing right now are
regular winter storms. You have returned to the regular station
programming.

>        does anybody have any tips on how i can eliminate the problem??

Have you disconnected the cable at the TB AND inside the car. Move it by
hand to see how the play in the cable is. There's a good chance that you
might be able to remove it, let it warm up to room temp (In the house)
and lube the cable with something that will act as a lubricant at temps
below zero.
Check the movement of the TB. it might be hanging up also.
Check the movement of the gas pedal. There's not much there that acts as
a pivot point but its worth looking at when you remove the cable.

>        i am tempted to just install a new throttle cable and see what
>happens, but i'd wrather get the professionals opinions first.(thats
>you guys)
>        Thanks a tonne in advance.
>                                Owen
>                                87 16V

Id say to replace the cable anyways. Its a good investment and if the
problem IS the cable, you'll save yourself the headache if dealing with a
marginal cable. Especially if its as cold as you say it is! You guys can
have your 4 seasons. I kinda like my year round summer where I live.....
:)

Oh, don't forget to get the little foam dealy thingie that mounts in the
throttle pedal. (Where the cable connects to the pedal.)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and