Off-topic El Nino musing

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Shawn C Meze wrote:

> Actually, the "El Nino" effect ended in mid November. El Nino is the
> effects from the water at the Equator in the Pacific being above 85
> degrees. Since mid November, its been below 85 so that means what? That
> means the media did a splendid job of hyping something out of proportion,
> yet again. They make it seem that just, out of the blue, we will get a
> monster storm that will wash California into the sea and cause other
> problems for the rest of the world. Whatever..................... Not
> gonna happen...... not in effect. The storms your seeing right now are
> regular winter storms. You have returned to the regular station
> programming.

This is not strictly true - the anomalous warm conditions (on average)
aren't expected to decay until the MAM98 (March-April-May) period.
According to NOAA, anyway.  There's more in store.  El Nino did complete
a second "peak" in November, but it's by no means gone.

Kevin Wenzel
1981 VW Scirocco S (w/1.8 JH) - DSP #81 (Blix)
Director of Network Operations, privateI, LLC
http://www.privateI.com/