Re: Scirocco.org...

Kevin Wenzel wrote:

> Ok - you three seem to be the ones with the most interest in doing this.  I
> was thinking that a segmented setup would work the best.  We could segment
> the site into several areas, with each person being responsible for
> maintaining the content in a certain section (like 16v info for Etrik, etc).

Ahh yes, I like that idea, it would be very easy to navigate that way.

> It's also easy for us to host the site on several different servers - so
> current content that requires a certain environment (like the VIN decoder
> on NT) could stay where it is, with a simple alias in the DNS pointing to
> it - like 16v.scirocco.org, uk.scirocco.org, etc.  I would prefer to do
> this as little as possible, since I can better ensure the stability of the
> overall site if most of it is on hardware under my direct control.

Heres the story on that,  we downgraded our connection to ISDN (a T1 for
personal use can cost quite a bit :) and while that was happenin I
pulled
the SGI server and brought it in to aid in render farming (Lightwave :),
so
I had to migrate all of my stuff to NT (PITA) and I have a UNIX and NT
version of everything.  I am a UNIX man myself, so it would be easiest
for
me to work on a UNIX platform (Linux, SUN, hp/ux?).

> Comments?  Who wants to do what?  I'd personally like to manage the very
> top of the site - the first few pages/overview kind of stuff, without
> getting too specific.  I had also planned to do some racing-related
> Scirocco pages as part of my non-existant personal site, and Mr. Meze has
> some pretty good existing content I'm going to talk to him about.  This
> leaves stuff like:

How bout this,

Kevin: Site Admin, HTML
Paul: HTML, Graphics
Etrik: HTML, Graphics, JAVA, CGI
Everone else: Content (FAQ, Pics, info)

> 1. Model-specific info - 16v, Mk.1 vs. Mk.2, special models (S, Storm etc)
>
> 2. Picture galleries
>
> 3. Club info
>
> 4. Mechanical specifications (cutaway drawings would be really neat if
> we can find them)
>
> 5. Original brochure scans
>
> 6. General info about #s sold per year and things like that (really part
> of #1, I suppose)
>
> 7. FAQs - besides the current VW FAQs (which I do not think we should
> attempt to duplicate), are there any FAQs dealing specifically with the
> Scirocco?  If we need to write one/some, I do have the entire archive
> of the scirocco-L - everything ever posted to it, so that should be helpful
> (not that any of us really *wants* to wade through it... :) ).

The only scirocco FAQ I know of is the small one on my page.
This is gonna be fun :) I tried to do a big site, but it's really
hard all by yourself.

Etrik