Re: More strut stuff: SPAX shocks

>Hi Everybody,
>  I bought the adjustable SPAX shocks from Stu at BSI for my 84
>8V.  I have only had the car on the track three times since, but
>so far the SPAX's seem to work quite well with the eibach springs
>I got.  The fronts are 10-way adjustable and the rears are 14-way.
>(It's almost too many choices!)  I have not had the shocks long enough
>to be able to comment on the durability of the SPAX's yet.

I hope yours turn out better than others...I know of one guy who had a rear
shock actually seize up on his Passat, and that was his 3rd set on
warrantee.  As far as I know, nothing about his setup was causing premature
failure, btw.  His experience is the same as all the rest I've heard here
in Vancouver (which is full of Spax shocks thanks to RPI) - they're great
for 2 years then it's game over.  Ron used to offer his own lifetime
warrantee on Spax (Spax UK never offered a lifetime warrantee) and ended up
getting hosed because so many people took him up on it.

>stand behind them.  I would say that they are comparable in handling
>quality to the konis although the only why to tell for sure is some
>back to back testing...  at this point I would recommend the SPAX
>adjustables as another good shock option.

So would I, but only for what they are - a shock that's better than the
Boge or KYB, but still cheaper than the Koni/Bilstein/Tokico.  The only
problem I have with Spax is theyr'e represented as being equal in quality
to the above 3 big names, and clearly they're not.

GL!