Sticky second gear on '86 GTX

Hi

I have a problem with second gear on my 86 'rocco GTX
Basically it wont change into second very smoothly when
you first start running it.  If its been driven for a while it
gets easier.  The person who I bought it off said the synchro-
mesh was worn, and I bought it knowing this problem
but a friend who has a Scala recons that the coupling
between the gear stick and the gear box is the problem.

Obviously I've learnt to live with the problem but it
makes those fast get aways a bit of a pain.  If the synchro
mesh is worn, there is little I can do but if it is the coupling
then I pressume something can be done about it.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter

Cheers

Ross