Re: [scca] Numbers & Multiple Cars

At 11:22 AM -0800 01/07/1998, Paul Krucke wrote:
>In the assignment of numbers for cars, I was wondering if-- If there
>is a particular number (for luck, or other reasons) that is taken,
>what are the procedures for a) buying the number off of the current
>holder of the car number if they aren't 'attached' to it, or b) trading?

Depends on the region.  In Colorado, there's not been any problems as of
yet with two people wanting numbers.  The "regulars" always use the same
numbers - I am 96, Kevin uses 81.  Nothing specific, but if some random
person showed up and tried to use 96, chances are I'd have already
registered, but if not, we'd work something out.  I'm not too hung up on 96
- I actually used 96 because it allows for many combinations - 6, 9, 66,
99, 96, 69.  I've registered late for Tours in the past and not gotten my
number(they're first come, first served), so I register as 9 or 6 or
something.  Some regions have assigned numbers - I'd guess that you'd have
to buy the number from the "owner," if willing to sell.  If you were in
Colorado, I could tell you which numbers are "taken" through our unwritten
courtesy rule, and you could choose another.  If you _absolutely_ had to
have, say, 81 - you'd have to negotiate with Kevin.  If he says "no," IMHO,
you're SOL.  That's my take on it, but like I said, it varies by region.

>Next, for SOLO II what are the allowances/procedures for running
>multiple cars in multiple classes?   For example, if I wanted to run
>both my Audi and VW?

Again, depends on the region.  Personally, I don't have a problem with it
if you pay two entry fees and work twice, but only at a local event.  I
tried to do it a while back, but was not permitted to do so.  If someone
asked me if they could do it, I'd probably be OK with it, but I'd want to
know in advance - IMHO, if you were to do it, you'd have to help set up
course/do tech/whatever as well as work the course.  Another option is to
let someone else drive the second car, and trade during runs - a local
couple brought out two cars and did this, did two runs in each to see which
was faster.  Or, at a Colorado event, you could(as far as I am concerned)
tech two cars in the morning and run the other during fun runs.  Lots of
options, but at larger summer events, I'd need to know well in advance to
plan for it.  Winter?  Heh, almost everything goes.  Anyhow, hope to see
the brave Colorado people this Sunday, it looks like it's going to be
cold(more incentive not to hit cones, they turn into huge pieces of candy
corn when it is really chilly), but it'll be fun!

I.Mannix