Re: Need diagnosis

>When it's cold and warming up it runs like a tractor, it sounds like
>it's firing on 2 or 3 cylinders until it warms the problem gradually
>goes away. I already eliminatted auxilary air regulator and cold start
>valve. "snip" could be the fuel pressure regulator, while another parts guy
>thinks it could be a bad spark plug wire. While cold and running I pulled
off >each spark plug wire (kids don't try this at home unless you like
getting >zapped) and on the firstcylinder it made just about no difference.
Uh oh!
>Other symptoms: the rpms don't go up at all when it's cold (normally
>they should go up to 1500), smells like it's getting too much gas, plugs
>look like they are burning normal, the idle fluctuates from 1000 to 560
>rpms. Thanks for any help!
I am experiencing the very same problem. Whew, I thought I was the only
one. I have actually replaced the Control Pressure Regulator to no avail.
In addition, my thermotime, cold start valve, and aux. air reg. seemed to
have worked. I pulled the cold start valve, and it starts like a charm
though(it would crank many times before starting with it attached). Idles
low, but turns right over. Leads me to believe there is not enough air
getting in there. Maybe the air meter, $gulp$. I am hopefully swapping mine
with one from my old 84 GLI this weekend, I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Paul Hanley