Need diagnosis

I have this really weird problem with my '81.  Starting cold or hot is
not a problem, when hot runs very well throughout the range (make that
'runs beautifully').
When it's cold and warming up it runs like a tractor, it sounds like
it's firing on 2 or 3 cylinders until it warms the problem gradually
goes away.
	I already eliminatted auxilary air regulator and cold start valve. A
friend of mine suggested lifters, but there is no noise of any kind
except for a normally running engine.  A mechanic friend is fairly
certain it could be the fuel pressure regulator, while another parts guy
thinks it could be a bad spark plug wire.
	While cold and running I pulled off each spark plug wire (kids don't
try this at home unless you like getting zapped) and on the first
cylinder it made just about no difference.
	Other symptoms: the rpms don't go up at all when it's cold (normally
they should go up to 1500), smells like it's getting too much gas, plugs
look like they are burning normal, the idle fluctuates from 1000 to 560
rpms. Thanks for any help!
	On a side note, I won't be doing any repairs for a while, outside temp
-35C prognosis for the next while -40C...  I really can't stand the
cold  :(

vagabond