Re: Need diagnosis

>When it's cold and warming up it runs like a tractor
>Other symptoms: the rpms don't go up at all when it's cold (normally they
should >go up to 1500),
>smells like it's getting too much gas,
>plugs look like they are burning normal,
>the idle fluctuates from 1000 to 560rpms.
>Thanks for any help!
>I am experiencing the very same problem. Whew, I thought I was the only one.

ME TOO! Or to be exact - mine does not start when it's below -4 C and runs
like a tractor until I get the revs over 4000 once. Other symptoms: when I
press the gas, then it revs up allright, but when I stop pressing the gas
it hesitates for a second.

>Maybe the air meter, $gulp$. I am hopefully swapping mine
>with one from my old 84 GLI this weekend, I'll keep you posted.

Please do so!

To give something (like 0.5c worth) I'll write what I've done and thought:
1. replaced wires, plugs, distributor, rotor cap ie everything electrical
2. disconnected the fuel pressure regulator wire (otherwise the car only
ran like a tractor)
3. I thought it is getting too much gas and I came to think of a crazy idea
that the fuel pump might be giving too little pressure out and that might
be the reason why pressure regulator lets the engine get too much gas. I
don't have any ideas how much pressure the pump should give and no
equipment to measure it so I don't know what to do with it.
It sounds reasonable because after turning right my fuel pump hits empty.
After that my car also runs like a tractor until i get rpms over 4000.

Comments?
Data on fuel pump testing and reasonable pressure?
Danke! Thanks! T”nan! Sposibo! Merci! etc ..

Regs,
Arno