Re: 16V's

the mad bastard wrote:

> > it has Tarantula Wheels on the back and teardrops on the Front
> > cloth & vinyl interiors no sunroof,  no power options. well ,
> > the  weirdest thing the VIN stands for an 86 8v ya' know the  WVWCAG
> > but  has a 16 valve under the hood.
> >
> > they asking about $1800 US
>
>     Hey Martin!  From what you describe, the car was an 8V at first and had the
> 16V engine put in afterwards.  Who knows what kind of person did all the work?
> The description you give does not paint a pretty picture either.  As Mr. May
> said, the car does not have the 16V brakes.  I don't know about you, but those
> brakes are pretty important if you'll be driving that car hard...you may not
> intend to drive it hard, but that engine just loves to rev, and pretty soon you
> will let it rev high...in every gear.
>
>     Iif it was up to me, I would _not_ consider buying that car.  Although I
> would like to take it for a ride just to tease myself.  I'd be willing to bet
> that the car is in rough shape, though, so if you do decide to take it for a
> ride and you're not impressed with the ride, don't worry...a well-tuned 16V
> will make you want it right away.
>
> jason
> the mad bastard.

Jason,

   My 86 16v also has a VIN that checks out as an 8v.  I've got rear
disc brakes(in need of replacement), and some of the other options that
are mentioned in the buying guide.  No power windows or sunroof, but the
vehicle was in better shape and had less mileage than the 87 16v I saw.
The guy at my shop(who had nothing to do with the sale) said that he'd
buy the car if I didn't.  It needs some care(which I am slowly giving
it), but it runs, and it is fun to drive.  I'd have Martin take a better
look at the vehicle.  A good amount of work towards making it a real
winner comes from this list.  Heck, just in the last few months I'd
learned more about suspensions, handling, engine components(Thank
heavens I read that bit about Splitfire plugs when people complained.
Took them out really fast!), and other bits than I'd have learned in a
year.

Still learning,
Lloyd