RE: [to everyone] how low r u?

I didn't see the program, but I remember reading an article about this.
The author of the article was as impressed as the person in this show.
The system was developed by the special engineering group of Lotus.
(Don't remember if it was before or after the buyout by GM)  They had
the system installed on an Elite (already an extremely good handling car
by conventional standards) and drove a normal one and a hydraulic
(active) one in various situations.  The author said that the most
impressive performance was at speed over a very poor old road.
According to the article, the road not only had a very poor surfaces
(potholes, broken pavement, etc), but was full crests and dips all in a
combination of short straights and fast sweepers.  In short, the
suspension test from hell.  Even thought the stock Elite had one of the
best suspensions of the time, it was bounding and skittering all over
the place and was a real handful for the (experienced) driver.  In
contrast the actively suspended car was infinitely more controllable and
comfortable at the same speed.  And at any time the 'active' driver
could speed up and simple drive away from the passively suspended car.
The potential was clear.  The problem was the cost.  There were no
hydraulic systems that could provided the combination of speed and
pressure necessary to keep the tires on the road and the sprung mass
smooth.  So Lotus Engineering had to develop them.  Additionally, the
very sophisticated computer and exotic surface topology detection
sensors also had to be developed/reengineered and were also expensive.
It's foggy but I recall something like $500K per car.  Interesting stuff
though, and you can see why it was banned in F1.  Like so many
technological advances, it seems to make the driver less and less
important and the hardware moreso.

Damien