Re: HELLO AND THANKS

On Thu, 01 Jan 1998 11:20:22 -0500 Jim Buck <vwpride@mixi.net> writes:
>> > Money no object - Hoosiers.
>> >Hugh Charvat
>>
>> Right, and lots of them!
>> Shawn Meze
>
>I have to differ on this one.  Remember, the car in question is an
>H-stock 1994 Jetta, with the requirement being that the car be as
>competitive as possible.  For this particular situation the only tire
>that would unquestionably fulfill the requirement would be the BFGs.

You know, I have to agree. The added sidewall stiffness (= maintained
camber ect) makes this tire the tire to have on a heavier car. (Well,
heavier than mine.)

Just a side note, after I switched to BFG R1's I also had my alignment
settings changed from -2 camber to -1.5 camber. (Still use 1/8th toe
out.) My tire wear with the old Yoko's would wear heavily on the outside
of the tire with -2 camber. My BFG's with -1.5 camber wear the heaviest
just inside the center line of the tread on the tire. I think that says
ALOT about what the BFG's are doing on the track.

>Also the car in question has a 350mm wheel.  He needs to make it a
>couple of mm wider, and this could get dicey with the rules, but he
>could get a wheelskins cover, and that should be thick enough to do the
>job, and discourage all but the total asshole from protest.  Imagine,
>taking a trophy away from someone who's faster than you because his
>steering wheel is 2 mm smaller than legal...what a wuss!

I've a question here. What size is the stock wheel?? The rules allow for
a +/- 1" in diameter size so if he has (as an example) a 14" steering
wheel, he can go with any 13" and still be completely legal.

That would have to be pretty picky to protest a steering wheel. I mean...
come ON!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and