Re: engines q's

At 10:21 AM -0500 12/27/98, Anthony Pelletier wrote:

>they best price I have found for a stock cast piston was GPR at $360
>for the set for standard(82.5) and about $20 more for 2nd oversize
>83mm.  Wasn't it Brett that was quoted $325 a month ago.  he must
>have connections or something.

Who knows what evil lurks... :-)

Anyway, I just pulled the receipt from GPR: 2nd oversize 16v pistons,
$325 + shipping ($14).  Maybe they just liked the cut of my jib.

>so now I need opinions.  will forged pistons be ok in a daily
>driver(summer only).

Maybe.  It's really up to you.  Keep an eye on the oil level, put up
with the bit of clatter on start up...

> is the extra cc's worth the money.

Probably.  Depends on you again.  How fast do you want to go?  Are you
the kind of person that always wonders what it would be like if you
had done "just a little bit more?"

> Have forged
>pistons become more advanced in recent years to have better cold
>characteristics.

It's not only the pistons, which are made of a material that expands
less so tighter tolerances can be run, it's also in the rings.  If I
was going to be running forged pistons, I wouldn't hesitate to get
totalseal 'gapless' rings.

> will they stand the abuse??  I want a motor that
>has decent torque that cranks when you wind it up.  I want Power!  I
>plan on running shrick 268's and having the head ported.

More is better, can't argue that.  It's going to be a personal call
on your part though.  Just remember, the last %10 probably costs %50,
if you know what I mean. :)

>While I am at it another Q what about balencing.  are there different
>kinds of balencing.  I know some shops balence engines on something
>that spins the crank, pistons, rods,  flywheel and tells where to
>take off weight.  or do they just weigh each piece and make them all
>equal.  caus I can get my hands on a balence and do that with a
>dremel.

Both, at least that's what my local machine shop is doing.  They make
sure the pistons, rods and all the assorted hardware weigh the same,
the the whole assembly is spun balanced.

>I guess that is it for now.  any opinions welcome.  I want to do this
>right the first time.

I know how you felt, I thought it better to spend like mad now and
enjoy the power for many many years to come.

>Thanks
>Tony

Later!

==Brett

  \/  '84 Scirocco (ITB racer 2B) | "Hot VW's, take two home, they're small."