Re: digital ignition

>Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 11:42:26 -0500
>To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>From: brads@mindspring.com
>Subject: Re: digital ignition
>
>At 08:09 AM 12/28/98 PST, you wrote:
>  That wouldn't happen to be the DDIS system using the 68HC11 designed
by
>Tim Drury, would it?

That's the one.  Don't tell me its a POS!

>16V distributors have a hall sensor which has everything you need for
>timing info. I can't remember if 8V have that as well?

Yes they do.

>Using most of the stock components, and just making your own "brain"
would
>be a bit simpler than having to fabricate all new sensors,
housings,etc.

Problem with using the stock distributor is that, even if I disconnect
the vaccuum advance,  it has built-in centrifugal advance, does it not?
I suppose though, that it might be easy enough to remove the advance
mechanism.  It still doesn't solve the problem of sensing TDC since I'm
sure that the trigger plate for the hall sender has four equally spaced
'lobes' so you can't tell where in the cycle you are.

I was hoping that the knock sensor would be a pretty simple bolt-on -
I'm just not sure where it goes.

I think I'll take your advice and look at using the distributor,
hopefully with just minor modifications - time to go to the junkyard to
find a suitable victim to butcher!

Thanks for the info.

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0