Re: front end mystery Audi A3T kicks ass!

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998 10:53:41 -0800 Kevin Collins <kevinc@flashcom.net>
writes:

>Nope, it can wander either direction at any time.  It seems to want to
do
>a right turn (and I mean TURN, not just pull) at very low speeds, like
right
>after pulling out of a parking space.  It's very weird.  Next week I get
>new tires, then over to the "good" alignment shop for a real alignment
and
>diagnosis...

It really sounds like its just the cars new handeling characteristics.
Takes some getting used to but at the same time it shouldnt be an extreme
turn. if it is the nibbling effect, the car will just maybe wander left,
use a little right wheel input to correct... then it wanders right ect.
No real pattern other than the layout of the road. Chewed up roads give
the worst feel.
It could be a PS rack going bad too. If some of the seals are going, you
can get pressurisation in one direction or both. Can you hear the PS pump
load up when it wonders?

>> as the Audi A3 20V Turblow last might! SCHWING!!!!
>
>That car kicks ASS!!  I wish we could at least get the 1.8T GTI, but
>no dice.

This car is way beyond kicking ass. This car defines the ass to be
kicked. We got the 18" on the car and then we had to go make sure the
tires wouldnt rub. We figured a 2 hr test was needed to be absolutely
sure. I sure wish we had the G-meter pro to give us some sickening
numbers. Id guess that 0-60 is maybe low 5's. 60-0 in the 3's with those
beefy 11" brakes. Damn those things are touchy. You just hold your foot
over the pedal and you slow down!
We also got kinda nosey under the hood and it looks like the only mount
that will need to be modified to work is the passenger side mount for
that 1.8L 20V turbo to fit happily under the hood of a Scirocco.
No distributor. Each spark plug has a coil pack. Ugly valve cover tho,
thats why the 20V engine cover is there. It basically looks like a 16V
but without the large runners crossing over the head. its got a tiny itty
bitty plenum tho! Teeny turbo too. Damn impressive. Makes me want to move
back to europe just so I -- can have one. sigh.......

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and