Re: Varied questions, answer some or all!

At 01:01 AM 12/22/98 -0800, T Berk wrote:
>Hey folks,
>
>( Welcome to my new, "real", email address, I'm ditching AOL. )

Congratulations!  ;)

> I have a bunch of things I've been ruminating on, answer any, all, or add
>some of your own- feel free to branch something interesting off on it's own
>thread.
>
>1. 3rd brake light retrofits. Any practical examples? I've been thinking of
>setting up a diffused line of LEDs, sim. to the luxury cars have.

Honestly, I've never thought these did any good.  Maybe, the first couple
years after they were added to cars, they did; they were new then, and got
attention by virtue of that fact alone.  Now they're on every vehicle made
and just as "invisible" as regular brake lights.

>1b. Escalating Brake Lights. I've been thinking of adding a second brake
>light switch to the pedal. This would light up additional lights when the
>pedal is pushed down past 1/2 pedal travel. thats at least the general idea.

Now, *this* makes sense.  Way better idea than (1.).  I think, though, that
brightening the existing bulbs with increased pressure on the brake pedal
would be better than additional lamps.  Maybe you could even make them
flash, with an increase in frequency corresponding to a proportional
increase in pedal pressure.

Some problems with this approach, though.  The biggest is probably passing
inspection.  Less likely is triggering an epileptic seizure in other
drivers.  (Really!  Some businesses in my area had this problem with those
signs on wheels that they set out in front of their shops.  W. Va.
eventually outlawed flashing lights above a certain number of flashes per
second.)

Now to the branching thread bit:  Has anyone else noticed how bright brake
and turn signal lights are getting lately?  Some have actually made me
wince, they're so bright.  I don't understand how blinding other drivers
contributes to your safety.

Truck and SUV headlights!  Ford trucks are the worst, but they're all bad.

Long post, huh?

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Carlyle