Re: Varied questions, answer some or all!

---T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> ( Welcome to my new, "real", email address, I'm ditching AOL. )

Good for you. With AOL taking so many 'tour-busses' on the Internet, there
was bound to be many more drive-by shootings.  I'm glad that you're safe now.

>  I have a bunch of things I've been ruminating on, answer any, all, or add
> some of your own- feel free to branch something interesting off on it's own
> thread.
>
> 1. 3rd brake light retrofits. Any practical examples? I've been thinking of
> setting up a diffused line of LEDs, sim. to the luxury cars have.

Get one from an 88 Scirocco?  Replace the lights with LED's if you're
really hot on them...?

> 1b. Escalating Brake Lights. I've been thinking of adding a second brake
> light switch to the pedal. This would light up additional lights when the
> pedal is pushed down past 1/2 pedal travel. thats at least the general idea.

Some pedal cluster bracket work should get you there.  You may be able
to mod the one that you have, and convert your 'normal' brake lights to
a pressure switch on the master cylinder.   You'd probably have to change
the master cylinder too come to think of it...awww, sounds too much like
work to me.

> 2. Anti-Stone protectors for your new and fancy lights. Seen some stick-on
> plastic 'thingies' that woul seem to help ward off chips from rocks and
> debris.

Wasn't Danny 'XXSparcoXX' doing this at one time for Euro Scirocco lights?

> 3. Why doesn't anyone make a stainless ( min. cat-back ) exhaust for my
> Sirocco Mk1 and which ones made for later models can be retofitted to my
> chassis?

I don't know.  Maybe you can get a shop to mandrel bend you some tubes using
your current exhaust as a pattern.

> 4. I'm in need of windows rubber, front windshield is being replaced soon
> and the rest is cracking a bit, might as well replace the whole thing.
> Where are we going to get Mk1 rubber, and for doors now that I think about
> it. Pls be specific.

Mike Potter has a set of these for his own car.  Maybe if you give him
a million dollars he'll part with it.  Ask him for the factory pin striping
kit that I traded him too. :-)  Should be loads of fun.

> 5. Bought a timing light over the weekend, got one with a variable
> sensativity control. I thought it was a variable advance, strobe control. I
> don't see why I would need to vary the sensativity and will prob. swap it
> for the standard, non-crome model. Any reason I should keep it?

Ditch it.  Get one with the variable advance if you can afford it.  Takes
some of the guess work out of the great mystery of timing.

> 6. Did anybody else notice that Shawn Meze played quarterback for his local
> San Diego Chargers Football team?

I thought that he was merely the first male chearleader, I had no idea that
he was soooo versatile.  Go Team! Right on my proactive brutha.

> 7.a Anyone having upgraded to larger brake rotors have any problems with
> needing to use 13" wheels which don't fit anymore?

Um, whoops?

> Thx,
> TBerk
> Changed the coolant tonight in temps ranging high 20's to low 30s. Hmmm.

I'll think of you in my 30,000 BTU heated garage when it's 25 outside and
72 under my car. :-)

==Brett