CAM Talk

I'm sure this has been discussed in length before, but only recently
have I decided that it may be time to do a new cam.

Does anybody have any suggestions for the correct performance cam for my
87 1.8 8 valve?  Although adept at turning a wrench this is one that I
havn't done yet so if anyone can lend a couple of pointers I would be
very grateful.
Also how much should I pay for something that will increase my
performance without putting to much premature wear on the rest of the
engine.

TIA

Jared Erlandson
Seattle