Re: When your car talks...

Jason,

That sounds similar to my only mechanical failure ever on my '87 16v. I was
about 6 hours into an 8 hour trip to Canada in March 1991 when the same
horrible noise came from the engine compartment. I thought something major
let loose and pulled over. When the rpm's dropped, the noise stopped, and no
visible problems under the hood. So, off I go again and about 10 min. later
it happens again, and this time I notice the alt. light on during the noise.
Of course this happened about 4:45 pm on a Friday afternoon in the vicinity
of Watertown, NY. The local VW dealer service dept was gone for the day.

As the problem was somewhat intermittent, we decided to press on to Canada
(probably not prudent) and made it to our destination. On the following
Monday, I got it to a VW dealer in Kingston, Ont. who replaced the
alternator for a mere 649.09 canadian (with the exchange rate March '91 it
cost $564.98 us)  I bet you feel a little better now about what you paid!