Re: Timing Chain (16V)

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998 02:11:38 -0400 "Thomas M. Vagi"
<tombert@together.net> writes:
>Hello All,
>    I was wondering if anybody knows anything about changing the Timing
>Chain between the two camshafts on the 16V motors?  I have a noise that
>sounds almost like a dead lifter or two, but it seems to be coming from
the
>Distributor side of the engine.  It has about 105,000 miles on it and I
>think it might be time to change the Timing Chain.  If anybody has done
it
>and can give me some advice, I'd appreciate it.  I'm pretty sure I'm
going
>to change it just to be on the safe side, but I'd like to know what it
is
>going to entail.

Hi Tom!
I wouldnt be too much in a hirry to change the cam chain just yet. From
your description, it sounds like a dead lifter, right? Ive never heard a
cam chaim immitate the sound of a dead lifter before. You might want to
invest in some new lifters and see how that fares first before replacing
the cam chain. IMHO of course.
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and