Re: motor pinging due to timing advanced too far

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 22:01:03 -0500 "Victor Farren"
<vfarren@smtp.cdie.org> writes:
>Since I have never experienced this, what does it sound like?

Ping (or "Detonation") sounds like a rattle. Sort of like a diesel rattle
kind of sound. Usually you only hear it while using heavy throttle input.
Depending on the car, it can be heard while using mild throttle input too
but most of the time you can control the sound by the position of the
throttle.

>I assume it sounds like a ping (duh!), but how loud is it?

Sometimes you cant even hear it, but it is happening. Sometimes its scary
loud. It just depends on the scenario.

>Can you hear
>it while you are in the car driving?

This is the only time ive ever heard it. Driving under some load or
goofing around and simply "getting on it".

>  I am asking b/c I have advanced
>my timing to 12 and don't hear anything, but want to go higher, but
>ain't sure if my engine is pinging or not.

Is the engine stock? If so, you probably should'nt go higher than where
you have it now. More advance on the timing will do more harm than good
on a stock powerplant.

>  I hear from people that
>you can go as high as 15 if you run high octane gas.

I run 16 degrees and use 87 octane fuel. But there too there's alot of
reasons that allow me to go this route. Not all cars are created equally.
:)

>I run 93 octane
>all the time, but want to be able to recognize the sound if I hear it.
> Is it one of those, 'you'll know when you hear it' type of noises??
>thanks,
>Victor Farren
>84 8v

For the most part, it is a "you'll know when you hear it" type sounds.
With 93 octane fuel, you should be ok with what you run now. Especially
for the cooler months ahead. When it warms up, pay attention to what the
car is doing.
HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and