motor pinging due to timing advanced too far

Since I have never experienced this, what does it sound like?  I assume it sounds like a ping (duh!), but how loud is it?  Can you hear it while you are in the car driving?  I am asking b/c I have advanced my timing to 12 and don't hear anything, but want to go higher, but ain't sure if my engine is pinging or not.  I hear from people that you can go as high as 15 if you run high octane gas.  I run 93 octane all the time, but want to be able to recognize the sound if I hear it.  Is it one of those, 'you'll
know when you hear it' type of noises??

thanks

Victor Farren
84 8v