Re: sparkplug basics (index mark?)

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 12:52:26 -0600 John Van Vuren <veedublu@wirural.net>
writes:

>First of all, this is not really important for most of our cars...
>the
>index mark (sometimes you have to make them yourself) corresponds with
>where the side electrode is...  the idea is to not have the side
>electrode shielding the spark from the combustion chamber...   in other
>words, on an 8v VW, it would be best to have the side electrode nearest
>the radiator so the spark was more open to the majority of the
>combustion chamber.

This is true. I know that most of the drag racers do this religiously.
What they do is index the side electrode to be inline with the center
electrode and the intake valve.

	L I    X

The "L" represents the side electrode.
The "I" represents the center electrode.
The "X" represents the intake valve.

This can get really complicated which I wont go into boring details but
that's the basic way to index a plug. The main goal is to get the spark
plug side electrode out of the way of the in comming fuel/air charge.
HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and