Re: 85 GTI engine in 82 Scirocco

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 15:58:27 -0600 "Shorter, Dennis R"
>Well, I found an 85 GTI engine and tranny at the local VW autox guru's
>house. Wouldn't you know, he is willing to sell them. Will they fit?

Yes, they will fit. I will now go that extra mile and tell you that you
will need to change a few things for it to work right. You could just
drop it in and go, but thats asking for problems.
With the 10-1 compression engine, you will want to use the knock sensor.
Thats sort of a project in itself grafting that into your 82 but its a
doo-able job.
Also you can spend little money now, just throwing the combo in your car
as is, ir you can spend a little now, saving you alot later by splitting
the engine tranny and replacing all the main seals on the engine AND
tranny. This will eliminate any oil leakage for a while, which is nice.
Especially if the engine/tranny has been sitting for a while. Put in a
NEW clutch and have the flywheel resurfaced. More piece of mind and why
not, its out of the car already.

>I'm no
>mechanic but I would like to do most if not all of the work myself.
>Possible/plausible?

Sure! You will needa good set of hand tools. You will need a good floor
jack, a couple jack stands and a cherrypicker to drop the engine in with.
You dont absolutely need the cherrypicker but it sure makes life easy,
especially if you are going to swap both an engine and tranny. You should
be able to rent one tho.

>The car is practically free and I haven't come to terms on the engine
>tranny. How much would it cost to do this "upgrade", excluding the
>cost of the engine and tranny?

If you do it all yourself, maybe a couple days and perhapps $400-$500US
is parts. (Including a new clutch.)
Pay someone else to do it, $2000+,

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and