85 GTI engine in 82 Scirocco

OK guys, this list is great lots of info and not much infighting.
I asked earlier about an 82 that I was thinking about buying that needed a
head gasket. After talking to several local mechanics who wouldn't touch the
car and based on some advice I got here I decided to look for a 1.8 to
replace the 1.7 just in case it needed more than a head gasket.

Well, I found an 85 GTI engine and tranny at the local VW autox guru's
house. Wouldn't you know, he is willing to sell them. Will they fit? I'm no
mechanic but I would like to do most if not all of the work myself.
Possible/plausible?
The car is practically free and I haven't come to terms on the engine
tranny. How much would it cost to do this "upgrade", excluding the cost of
the engine and tranny?

Yes the thread about rocco maintenance and the guy with the alternator got
me thinking...

Thanks!

Dennis