RE: how do you guys pass inspection? was RE:PVC hose

Well, even with out a cat and a mild cam, my car passed smog just
this last month and I'm in california.  It helps if you take it to an
establishment that will be willing to make adjustments so that the
car will pass.  You just need to make sure that there are no intake
and exhaust leaks, the CO is adjusted properly (which is where the
smog shop comes in), and that the valves are adjusted properly.
When, my car was first put on the 4-gas analyzer, the CO was about 7%
at idle!  That was done by using a multimeter to dial it in at home.
But the smog tech took out his trusty 3mm allen and messed with it
for a good solid half hour to get it dialed in so that it passed.
Don't just go to the cheapest smog shop.  The ones that are $15 will
more than likely just put in on the machine with no regard to whether
the car is warmed up or not and try to charge you for every little
ajustment they make.  All in all, it cost me $49 for smog, but I felt
it was well worth it.  They spent close to a solid hour dialing it in
and smoging it.

> From:          Chris Coracini <Coracin@usdl.com>
> To:            "'Scirocco-l@scirocco.org'" <Scirocco-l@scirocco.org>,
>                "'EurotekVW@aol.com'" <EurotekVW@aol.com>
> Subject:       RE: how do you guys pass inspection?  was RE:PVC hose
> Date:          Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:45:28 -0500

> wow, good idea, keep 'em comin'!!  is this the same as that stuff you
> can get at pepboys?  it says it "guarantees" you'll pass emissions.
>
> chris
> 86 16V scirocco

                   Kris Rayner
                1984 VW Scirocco
    1981 VW Scirocco S - Soon to be a 16V :)-
             "The futures in the air,
             I can feel it everywhere,
          blowing with the Wind of Change."
                   - Scorpions