RE: [non-rocco] GLI 2.0 bucking

>A friend of mine has a 91 GLi 2.0 that does some serious bucking at low
>engine speeds.  It only does it when you're trying to coast in gear at low
>rpms.  It does not do it when accelerating hard or clutching out from a
>stop.
>
> I know a bunch of us discussed this not long ago.  I remember someone had
>said that most likely there was a crack in the intake boot.  I don't think
>that this is it because it doesn't do it when accelerating.  Any thoughts?
> What is the symptom of a glazed clutch disc?  Would that cause this
>problem?

glazed clutch disk will "shudder" when taking up the clutch, but has no
effect when fully engaged (other than maybe slipping at full throttle).
does this bucking happen mainly in 1st and 2nd?  say in stop and go
traffic when you are trying to go around 5 to 10mph?  if so, this is
pretty common, the severity of it has to do with many factors, like how
worn your motor mounts are, how much play you have in your transmission,
how smooth your driving is, and how stable your engine is at a given
rpm.  i've pretty much learned to be extra super smooth (like buttah..)
when let on and off the gas in 1st and 2nd, and i never leave it engaged
under 2k rpm in 1st, or it will buck and i don't think there is anything
you can do about it.  it's not just VW related either, it's pretty
common in all manual shift cars.  of course you may be talking about
something completely different, in which case...  well, you are.

chris
86 16V scirocco