Re: CV Joint problems

At 1:28 PM -0600 12/14/98, Zach Vrooman wrote:
> Jim:
>
> You make a valid point, but the axles we sell ($69.95, BTW) are sold with a
> lifetime guarantee. If the boot rips, come get a new one, throw it in, away
> you go. I've not seen one come back with a wear problem yet(usually the
> splines are FUBAR.) If you are trying to get the most bang for the buck,
> the reman is the way to go.  My Parts Place catalog lists new cv joints
> starting at $75 and up. Then you gotta tear the thing apart, and all that
> good stuff. If you happen to be as mechanically inclined as I am (i.e. not
> very.) the frustration factor goes through the roof, then a wrench goes
> flying, etc. I'm not trying to piss in your Post Toasties, but for most
> people, I think the reman is the way to go. I've got one in mine, no
> problems. If you can rebuild the axle yourself, by all means do so.

Interesting.....I am looking at doing this for my 16v conversion project
and was all set to get grubby and replace the joints themselves.  I,
myself, am of the wrench throwing type, but I know Brett VanSprewenburg, so
I do have that wealth of VW knowledge just down the hall.  And I KNOW he's
done it.  Like 4 times?

I'm just going on what I've heard from Brett and several people--that the
remanufacturing causes a shorter wear life.  So are you saying is that if I
get yours and they wear out, they're covered????????  And if so, can I get
one with mixed sizes, 90mm outer and 100mm inner?

| Jim Jarrett,CCP                                                   |
| Eastman Kodak Co. - Professional Digital Cameras                  |
| 901 Elmgrove Road MC 35504                                        |
| Rochester, NY 14653-5504         Phone:(716) 726-6365             |
| jarrett@kodak.com           All opinions expressed are mine alone |
| http://www.kodak.com                                              |