RE: It's alive!!!!!!!

>Question/s:  does the timing have such an effect on the car.

yes.

>  Did I do
>something wrong.

hmmm, there are two marks on the flywheel, one is TDC, the other a
timing mark.  unfortunately i dunno which is which...  the best way to
ball park it is to idle it (when warmed up), and turn the distributor in
the direction that your engine speeds up.  then drive it under various
throttle loads and listen *carefully* for knocking, if it does, you went
too far, back it up a tad.  you should aim for most advance without
knocking.  note which gas you are using, because if you do this on 93
octane, and put 91 or 87 (yuck) in there it will most certainly knock
very badly....

>BTW, off to another drinking binge to cure the misery (lest it magically
>runs perfectly when I go outside in 5 minutes).

HA!!  that's too funny, i do that.  "hmmmm...i'll just smoke a ciggie
and when i try it again it will start....."

chris
86 16V scirocco