Re: Pls. Help: Replacemenet for interior reading lights and seat release lever

Well problem 2 I can help with.

Go to a handy man store and buy 70 lb. picture hanging wire and a
crimper tool (usually they come with some of the little ends that are
used to crimp with (nice technical term there).

Either take the seat out or leave it in, its easier to remove it and
work on it than leave it in -trust me I tried last weekend to just
this and after a few minutes I just yanked it out (takes about 1 min.
to remove the seat -removed the bolt and nut from the front of the
seat (by the seat slider control arm) and slide the seat ALL the way
back -and out).

Once you have your seat in a easy to work on location:
-tilt the seat forward, you can manually release the seat by pushing
the two catches back.
-pry the 4 metal teeth open with a flat head screwdriver (they are
hidden in the fabric at the bottom of the seat.
-carefully open the seat up and have a vacuum handy to suck up the
orange sponge chunks that may fall out.
-find the snapped cable(s).  reach up inside the seat and locate the
broken cable 10 - 1 odds are that its the one that goes to the inside
catch (the one nearest the parking brake).
-either crip the two ends back together (very unlikely) or restring
the broken cable with some new 70 lb. cable you bought and use the
crimping tool to put a metal collar on each end so it doesnt come off.

I know its a long post but it might help and its not as hard as it
seems.  you can just buy the replacement cables, try potterman on the
list.  but I figured 70 lb picture wire was only $1.50 for 10 meters
at Canadian Tire sooo... and its held up for a week fine.

Anyway, hope it helps.

now wheres my coffee...

l crawford
84 8v scirocco