Stereo wiring question

Hey, everybody!

I'm going to install an amp in my car tomorrow, and I want to do something
different than the directions say.  The directions want me to use a #6 wire
for power, but the blasted terminal on the amp won't take that size unless
I use a connector (buy a kit from them, in other words).  So, I want to use
two #12s instead, and I need to know what the most important variable to
consider here is, resistance, cross section, or area.  I can get all this
(already have, in fact) from the National Electrical Code book, but I don't
know which one to consider in this case.  (If it's resistance, I'd need for
#12s to get the same as one #6!)

Is there anything I'm missing?  I can wire the hell out of a house or
store, but electronic components are another matter...

Carlyle