Re: Jamax Air box

At 4:36 pm -0500 7/12/98, Anthony Pelletier wrote:
>Hi all.
>
>I just checked out jason's site ( very cool-- finnally I get to read
>what the auto magazines thought of the 16v)nice site,  your car looks
>good as usual.
>any way I listen to Riley Mc Dowall's car and I was wondering what
>does one of those jamex boxes look like.  Is it like a p flow or is
>it just like a swiss cheezed stock box??
>do you get any extra hp too or is it just a sound thing??

Ok, here's the scoop on the Jamex airbox replacement - it's shaped exactly
like the stock lower airbox, and has pegs in its frame that the locating
pegs on the stock 'box.  It's got a metal frame, but the "walls" of the
'box are actually foam filter material.  There might be a picture of it on
Jamex's website (don't have the url on me).  It *might* make an extra hp or
two but I seriously doubt it, since it's pulling in hot air from inside the
engine compartment.  It took me about six months to get around to
installing it for that very reason...I expected to lose power compared to
what I had before.  In the end, I don't think I did, but I dont' know for
sure because it *sounds* like about 10 extra hp :)

BTW there's a few confounding variables here - in addition to that airbox,
I have a few other mods that make the car sound better: 2.0 block,
supersprint header, rotted muffler, and euro intake manifolds.  YMMV with a
stock 16v or 8v motor! :)

Also BTW it does NOT sound like a cut airbox.  I've heard those before, and
they've got a pronounced "whistle" to them that this airbox doesn't have.
I don't like how they sound, but YMMV on that too...