RE: octane?

>    PS I'm sure that 91 works more than fine! You should be aware, however,
>that
>higher octane rating fuels actually have slightly less energy per volume, and
>might make your fuel mileage suffer, as well as make you get slightly less
>power.
>It certainly won't be detrimental to your engine, however.

this is misleading...  higher octane gas does burn slower.  however,
this allows you to advance your timing, more than making up for the tiny
amount of "less power" it would make.  and as far as the fuel mileage is
concerned, think of it as getting 29.9 mpg instead of 30.0.  however,
*IF* you change your timing to compensate for the added octane (or have
a knock sensor ignition) you will get more power AND better mpg than
with 87 and more retarded timing...

chris
86 16V scirocco