SV: Mann better than Fram?

The valve in the filter is to save oil in cylinder head when
motor is shut down. The amount of oil is not so big that you
risk overfilling your motor. And in case of to high oil pressure
you have the crankcase ventilation.

Roland Johansson
Scirocco 1,6l TIC -82
Http://hem.passagen.se/toker

> 	I've heard the list litany of "Fram sux" presumably because
the
> Fram isn't made in Germany and more importantly, lacks an
anti-drain valve.
> But on my 1.7L, the filter is pointing down so I don't see how
it would
> lose oil upon engine shutdown.  Moreover, when I remove the
old filter,
> it's full of oil.  Or is the job of the filter to prevent oil
in the head
> from draining into the pan?  Can't the oil drain back through
other
> passages besides through the oil filter?  And if oil is
retained in the
> head, won't the dipstick underestimate the amount of oil in
the system,
> leading to overfilling, leading to dangerously high oil
pressures, the
> blowing of seals followed by catastrophic engine failure?  So
is this
> anti-drainback valve a gimmick or what?     benton-----

message.