From: Benton Yoshida <byoshida@zygote.hsc.usc.edu>
To: scirocco-L@scirocco.org
Subject: Mann better than Fram?
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 04:11:36 -0700

	I've heard the list litany of "Fram sux" presumably because the
Fram isn't made in Germany and more importantly, lacks an anti-drain
valve.
But on my 1.7L, the filter is pointing down so I don't see how it would
lose oil upon engine shutdown.  Moreover, when I remove the old filter,
it's full of oil.  Or is the job of the filter to prevent oil in the head
from draining into the pan?  Can't the oil drain back through other
passages besides through the oil filter?  And if oil is retained in the
head, won't the dipstick underestimate the amount of oil in the system,
leading to overfilling, leading to dangerously high oil pressures, the
blowing of seals followed by catastrophic engine failure?  So is this
anti-drainback valve a gimmick or what?     benton-----