Re: Mann better than Fram?

In a message dated 12/6/98 4:09:07 AM Pacific Standard Time,
byoshida@zygote.hsc.usc.edu writes:

>  Or is the job of the filter to prevent oil in the head
>  from draining into the pan?  Can't the oil drain back through other
>  passages besides through the oil filter?  And if oil is retained in the
>  head, won't the dipstick underestimate the amount of oil in the system,
>  leading to overfilling, leading to dangerously high oil pressures, the
>  blowing of seals followed by catastrophic engine failure?  So is this
>  anti-drainback valve a gimmick or what?     benton-----

Lets run with this scenario, that the anti-drainback valve keeps the
passageways leading up to the head full of oil.

The oil can't drain back down because it has to go backwards through the
filter, which it will without said valve. On the other side of the hump, of
course the oil can drain away, but the priming of the riser passageway means
that there will be some lube to the top of the head as soon as possible. We
all seen the Slick-50, etc., claims that most all of eng. damage is done on
startup, when there is a lack of lube. Well? Anti-drainback is a good thing,
see?

As to overestimating the amount of oil in the system, these oil passageways
don't hold much more than 1/4 a quart more or less, it's benefit in the prev.
paragraph is not the great amount, but it's presence at all. Cars have a
tolerance built in to handle a bit of overfilling, ( besides, the leaky
valvecover gasket feature will serve to remove any excess oil :)

I'm leery of FRAM filters. They seem to be trying to be the filter for
everybody, at the lowest manufacturing cost to themselves, ( makes sense ),
but I'd rather go with a company that was more focused on my particular car
line/model and had specific OEM experience.

Good questions, keep em coming.
TBerk