Re: Can't get into 1st or 2nd since eng swap

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998 03:59:37 EST TBerk16@aol.com writes:

>This sounds about right because the shifter mech was as good as it was
>going to get but still didn't work, and by the time things work
themselves
>through the leverage as such; the lack of enough travel at the tranny is
the
>problem.

Good morning Dr FrankenBerk! I trust you slept well? :)

It truly is amazing how 1mm of offset movement on the tranny mounting can
cause drastic problems with the shifting. The first time I encountered
this I thought it was a bad thing. (IE tranny problems) So, without even
knowing why, I tried to reposition the tranny to the marks on the
mounting plate on the rear tranny mount and then moved the front mount to
where it seemed to be once and low and behold, it worked. One of those
accidental amazing discoveries.

>Spec. to the position of the tranny- all the motor mounts were changed
>( with the two outside ones being pre-pressed into replacement brackets,
thx
>Potter-dude, ) so they don't have any old markings to go by.

Well, think of the mounts that you didn't replace, IE the front and rear
mounts. (im not speaking of the rubber motor mounts.)

The rear bracket that bolts 2 bolts to the chassis, and 2 bolts to the
motor mount, look at the 2 big nuts that hold the bracket to the chassis.
(Must be grease free dude.) There should be some bolt/washer makes on
that bracket. Adjust this one first.

The front bracket has the 2 bolts holding the round bracket. (Where the
round motor mount fits into on the cross member.) Look at where (Must be
grease free dude.) the bracket WAS by the imprints in the bracket of the
bolts/washers. This one is a little more tricky since its meant to be
adjustable but just the same, try and move the mount to where it had been
before. If this doesn't seem to work, then try moving it around a little
until you find something that works.

The 2 side motor mounts don't seem to make as big of a difference since
they only go in one way. Not much room for sloppy alignment.
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and