Re: '83 VS. '84 GTI...Differences?

In a message dated 12/4/98 5:14:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
skerocdriver@juno.com writes:

>  On Fri, 4 Dec 1998 10:57:26 EST TBerk16@aol.com writes:
>  >
>  >I just took an engine out of an '84 GTI and don't recognize what the
>  shrouds
>  >look like. Anyone want to clarify? I've heard of them before, even heard
>  of
>  >them breaking- but I'm not sure how to identify them.
>  >
>  >TBerk
>

>  Identifying an air shrouded head will be easy by the single hose (and)
>  port right in the middle of the head, between #2 and #3 cylinders on the
>  same side as the intake manifold. The injectors will be different too,
>  for obvious reasons.
>
>  (My guess) I dont think the air shrouds came into use until 19 and 85.
>

>                Shawn Meze

OK, I have a 'new' 1984 Rabbit GTI engine in the car. It has a small rubber
hose on the back side of the cylinder head, it is between cylinders 3 & 4,
closer to the clutch side rather than the timing belt side.

If I am to understand this, then the "shrouds" are mostly down inside the
cylinder head, surrounding each injector for part of it's length.

Am I clueless yet or on to something?

TBerk