87 16v 2.0

     I'm looking at buying a rocco on tuesday. I regret selling my '82.
I sold my piece  of sh*t rice burner, I learned my lesson. I will never
make that mistake again. This car has some problems, but don't they all.
It has enough modifications, (2.0, paint, wheels, etc....) to make it
worth buying. It has a cracked exhaust manifold, it's an 87 16v, 2.0
bottom end, ported & polished. If I don't want to spend a ton of money
should I go with a stock manifold or will a diesel bolt up? I'm thinking
of using a TT non-cat down pipe (off road use of course! :-)). I hear
about headers always breaking and would rather not spend the money at
the moment. I'm wondering if I'll lose much high end power, and if ok
headers can be found without spending $$$$. Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.