RE: Tech: Seat release lever - released its last.

<snip>
> ...But how hard can it be to  pull out a seat... (only 1 coat of paint,
>under coating, and some rust and mud on the bottom of the car... can't
really >see the bolts anymore...)

>Help!
>
>PS:  Any comments about replacing the seats?  Is it expensive?
>Hard
>to do?  Any tricks I need to know?
>
>L Crawford
>84 Scirocco 8v Silver w/Busted seats.

L,  (whazzat stand for anyway?)

You can fix this without taking the seats out. But others have already
told you how, so I'll respond to the other part of your question, the
removal of the seats.  Basically, it's way easy. You do not need to get
under the car at all.

1. Slide the seat forward all the way. See how the seat is sliding in two
tracks on either side. Unscrew the screws that hold the plastic track
covers on. (if the covers are missing, no prob, your job just got
easier)

2. Slide  the seat 1/2 way back. (so you can look down under it by the
front) Look where the slide lever is. There is a track there with holes
that the latch holds on to. At the very front of this there is a bolt
that goes all the way through. remove it. You'll need a screwdriver
(phillips??) and a socket/wrench (9mm or 10mm).  This bolt keeps the
seat from sliding back out of the tracks.

3. Slowly slide the seat all the way back. Take a good look at the whole
thing before taking it out, so you see how it goes. It can be hard to
put back if you don't know how the tracks and grooves all fit. With the
bolt removed you can slide it back far enough to get out of the tracks.
Now take it out of the car and fix it.

4. Putting it back is the reverse of above, just be sure to be well
rested and in a good mood. The seat is kinda heavy and it is tricky to
get into all of the tracks. I found that it was necessary to hold the
slide lever open while putting it in.

Enjoy.

But all this is in the Bentley, and probably in others (chilton's,
haynes, etc??) If you don't have any such book, Get one!! (Bentley)
Takes a lot of guess work out of the picture, and jaded listers won't be
annoyed with the "waste" of bandwidth. (not me, I'm pretty new here, and
am happy to share the little I know)

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco