cold air leaks in dashboard

My '86 8v 'Rocco, with AC, has cold air that streams in through the dashboard
in winter weather. Everywhere there's a crack, outside air filters in -
especially at the heater control slider knob.

I'm speculating that there's a 'problem with the fresh air valve'. It's under
the hood, just in front of the firewall, and it opens or closes depending on
the position of the other slider knob - it closes for the big-snowflake-max-AC
setting, opens for the small snowflake setting. Maybe cold air is leaking
through here? Anyone know just how this valve thing works? Any other ideas?

Alan Cote
AlanCote@aol.com
'86 Scirocco 8V
'88 Jetta GLI 16V