Re: Confused

Depends on what you consider to be "better"...   in general, a close
ratio transmission will allow you to accelerate faster, while a wide
ratio will reduce the rpms at any given speed, increasing your fuel
mileage, etc.  It is also possible in theory for a wide ratio to allow a
higher top speed, this is only true if the limiting factor is the
redline of your engine (if your engine will pull redline in 5th gear
with a close ratio, then you can go faster with a wide)

So... stoplight to stoplight racing - most people consider close ratio
to be better

Highway cruising - most people consider a wide ratio to be better.

It's all about trade-offs...  like everything else in life.

John

'87 16v Scirocco
and lots of other stuff
website - http://www.prod.net/jvanvuren/vw.htm