RE: Re: New Fuel Relay but no pump action (The woes continue...)

Sal,

   To calm your worries about the distributor a bit, I belive that the
single connector you are refering to is indeed a ground. It is held to
the metal body of the distributor with a screw, right? So there is
direct metal contact all the way to the engine block, which -should- be
grounded =).  On my 85, there was a ground strap from the casing/shield
around the cap that fit into that connector.   HTH

 Now, I'm no expert on ignition details, but I would try see if you are
getting any spark. First pull off one of the spark plug wires at the
spark plug.  Then get a friend to crank the engine while you hold the
metal end of the wire about 1/8th inch from the block. You should see a
spark (it helps if it is night time). If there is no spark, then
investigate why.

Here's a story to share.  My GF's 86 Jetta GLI just completely died 1/2
block from her house on her way to school one morning. She'd crank it,
but nothing. A spark check that night revealed that there was no spark.
Further checking revealed a very worn out rotor. A cap and rotor set
later, there was still no spark. So I checked the coil. It was fine.
Checked for signal to the ICU. There was signal coming in. Pulled a ICU
from a junked 86 GLI. Still nothing. Then I noticed a little wire that
was just hanging there, next to the intake manifold,  looking like it
got broken off. Tried cranking the engine while someone grounded it to
the block. VROOOM!!  Problem solved. The wire disappeared into a tube
with 55 gazillion other wires, so I never bothered to see where it lead
to, I was just happy that the damn car was running.   The moral of the
story? I dunno, just check your wiring again. CIS-E (not what you have,
but still) is apparently very unforgiving to missing grounds.

Jonas
85 Scirocco