Re: 1.8l 8v turbocharging

Well, whether you need to lower compression or not depends on the
current compression ratio and how much boost you plan on running.  If
it's the 8.5:1 I've heard of people going as high as 9lbs of boost
before having any detonation problems.  In which case you can use an
Audi 5000 fuel pressure regulator or do something else.  I know of
somebody that wired in the cold start valve to spray off an on when
the turbo reached a certain pressure and it solved his detonation
problems.  If it's a 10:1, you'll have to run such low boost, you
might as well lower the ratio.  The right way to do it is to mill the
pistons.  There are some other things people have tried, but
realistically, that's the only way for it to be done right and make
the motor last as long as possible with the fewest problems.  This is
all IMHO.