1.8l 8v turbocharging

Was just lookin under the hood of the scirocco today checking out a noise
from the timing belt, when, for some reason, i just said to myself "damn
there's a lot of room under this hood"... and figured i might want to get a
turbo kit for it sometime down the line, as I am sure to get used to the
acceleration of a high-compression 8v (compared to my half dead 8v i drive
right now).

Does anyone on this list have, or know of people putting turbos onto 8v's
(any VW i s'pose, jetta, golf, etc.), do you need to lower compression or
get any new engine parts? How much boost can you safely use without having
to replace anything? How much horsepower/torque can you get, what kind of
effect on fuel econ, reliability...etc. I might need some more juice (or a
VR6)if I'm going to change my license plate to "VTEC ETR", heheh...

Alex Tomic - Monkey #37 -   "Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?"
atomic7@home.com - http://members.home.net/atomic7