Re: Gauge Mounting

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Cox, Wiley wrote:

> 	Yay!  Sometimes the wife is kind to me.  I just ordered the
> 3-gauge mounting kit from Neuspeed for the Ashtray mount.  Now, comes
> the dilemna.  I've got 3 gauge spots and 5 gauges.  Hmm.  How about Oil
> Pressure, Oil Temp and Water Temp?  What do you guys have for your three
> gauges?  And has anyone found anywhere else good to mount the remaining
> gauges (if you have them) elsewhere in the car?  Somewhere unobtrusive?

You haven't been paying attention, have you? It is my crowning
Scirocco-related achievement :-) that I have managed to have 6 gauges in my
center console. Suggestion: get rid of that stupid "face-straight"
Neuspeed kit, and go to your friendly junkyard for two Audi GT or two Audi
Quattro 3-gauge panels (both will cost you less combined than the
Neuspeed stuff) that have nice, angled, slots, so it is a lot easier for
you to view your gauges. Then, get rid of your cassette holder, and at
the top of that empty space, just below your radio, make a proper
contraption to mount the extra three gauges. Requires butchering your
console a bit to make that third angled gauge clear the console. Looks
nice and clean (I could scan a picture if you remind me soon). My extra
three gauges are vacuum, water temp (need a mod to put an extra temp.
sensor at the side of your engine, Shawn Meze told me a trick for that if
you are interested), and ammeter.

Ilias