Re: AWD VW's

At 07:37 AM 8/28/98 PDT, Chris Chemidlin wrote:

>>Someone, anyone, everyone, please tell me which VW models have the
>Synchro
>>system
>
>I'll give it a shot.... There was a beetle in the late 30's /early 40's
>that was called 'kommandurwagen' that was 4wd, there was the
>'kubelwagen', 'schwimmerwagen', Vanagon synchro, Quantum Synchro, Passat
>synchro (non-us), corrado synchro (non-us?), Golf Rallye (non-us),

The only currrent, contemporary VWs which have syncro and are available in
the United States/Canada are(were) the Quantum Syncro Wagon(Passat Syncro,
essentially) and the Vanagon Syncro.  I can't think of any other VWs which
were available here(IE, readily available) which had "syncro."

Syncro - sorta like "cola," there's a few different kinds.  The QSW has
"syncro," but it is essentially the same drivetrain that the 4000 quattro
has.  The Syncro Vanagon uses a different type of four wheel drive, yet it
is called "syncro."  Something to do with a viscous center differential.
Audi quattro is the same way - the current Audis have a Torsen center
differential, yet they are still "quattro," but vastly different than mine.
 So, FWIW, "syncro" is not a constant - there's variables.