Re: 16v exhaust upgrade

At 08:52 PM 8/27/98 -0400, Ingrid Hopkins wrote:
>I've heard, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the stock exhaust on the
>16v is 2.25" in diameter.  From the same person I heard this from, he
>suggested cutting out the mid pipe, replace it with a straight pipe and
>get a turbo muffler and slap that on with a resonating tip.  Cool idea
>or smoke up my arse???

AFAIK, and IME, the exhausts on 16v cars were 2.25" stainless tubing from
the factory.  Have a look under your car, and see if the tubing is
rusting... on both of my 16v cars you could tell right away the tubes were
stainless (they have that color).  And I know they were original because
the stock resonator and mufflers were still on it.  They were rusted out,
but the pipes were basically still mint.  If you have no emissions to worry
about, dump the stock dp and replace it with a euro dp from Techtonics (do
they have one in stainless?  Can't remember...).  Replace the stock muffler
with a Super Turbo or whatever, but be warned that those are cheap mufflers
that will sound like SHIT a year or two later.  The packing burns out and
you're left with a raspy, loud, droning muffler that you'll hate.
Unfortunately you don't have many other options.  Supersprint is nice but
is a LOT of $$.  Best bet if you want stainless is to find a generic Borla
that will fit, and have hangers and a tailpipe welded onto it...

HTH!