Re: power locks

At 11:22 AM 8/25/98 -0700, Alex Ting wrote:

>all this talk about power locks has me interested.
>
>anybody done this conversion?
>anybody have a set for sale?

Well, that settles it.  I'll do a page on it.

The conversion is very straightforward... I would not recommend using
factory parts- 1st of all, it would cost you as much as a new VR6 GTI, and
secondly, the labor involved would be... well, insane.
	I bought 2 actuators from an electronics supply place in Dayton, OH (mail
order, of course) at something like $12 a piece.  I also had them send me a
remote keyless unit with 2 transmitters for like $65.  Then, I went to a
local stereo shop and got the relay kit for the locks for $12.  You will
also need 2 little pieces from your VW dealer (at about $1.50 a piece- I
will put part numbers on the page).  ...and that's it.  So, for well under
$100, I changed my stock plunger locks into Power Locks with Remote Keyless
Entry.
	Of course, your hatch won't lock and unock with this conversion, and
neither will your gas cap flap.  I am, however, planning on converting my
hatch... but that's a not-necessary fun thing to do in the future.
		GL HTH YMMV VR6 and all that
				Jason