"Karmann Giugiaro"(was "A NEW Canuck Scirocco Owner...)

Message text written by Brandon Dove
>> FYI, *all* Sciroccos are Karmann made. I think that is the plant where
they
> were built. I could be wrong, but I am sure someone else may comment on
it.

FYI -- Actually the plant they were made in was Osnabruck. Karmann is the
name
of the car designer who is responsible for all Sciroccos made. The Karmann
badge
on a Scirocco doesn't signify any special options as does the Wolfsburg
badges.
<

All Sciroccos were made at the Karmann factory in Osnabruck Germany.
Karmann had a hand in the design but Karmann is not a designer. Karmann
worked with designers to develope cars for them to build. Giugiaro designed
the first (MK1) Scirocco and Herbert Schafer's new VW design studio
designed
the MK2. You can say that Giugiaro designed the MK2 and VW changed it.
BMW, Giugiaro and Karmann worked on a project that looks close to the MK2
in 1973
and showed it in 1974. Several cars would be designed that looked like this
BMW.
The MK2 looks very close to this design. Giugiaro wanted the MK2 to look
more
like the MK1 Scirocco and Herbert Schafer wanted the BMW's design. So you
see Karmann isnot  the real designer but the car builder. As a side note,
Ghia is a design studio and Karman is a car builder. They could have called
the Scirocco a "Karmann Giugiaro." I am glad they changed to the Scirocco
name
because I would be driving a  "Karmann Schafer" to work today.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX"
81 8v red Scirocco.